Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake

My sister requested that I post the recipe of a cake I baked during her last visit to Chicago. It's super simple and tasty and get this...the secret ingredient is whiskey ;) ;) ;) I wanted to make it again, but this time I thought I would alter it a bit.

When I was a kid, oh how I loved to eat that heavenly confection called Terry's Chocolate Orange.




You know the one - that foil ball of goodness that when broken revealed semi-sweet chocolate segments with just a hint of orange. I'm pretty sure that it was my sole source of Vitamin C back in those days.

I tried to replicate these flavors by substituting the whiskey with a little Grand Marnier and orange zest. The results were surprisingly good.




Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake
Adapted from Gourmet, September 2005 Issue
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) plus 3 tablespoons for dusting pan
  • 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
  • 1/2 cup American whiskey*
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

*NOTE: If you'd prefer to make the chocolate orange version, just substitute the whiskey with the following:
  • 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or another orange liqueur
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest 
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Butter bundt pan well, then dust with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, knocking out excess.

Heat coffee, whiskey [OR Grand Marnier, if applicable*], butter, and remaining cup cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat, then add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.

While chocolate mixture cools, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, then whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well. Add flour mixture [AND orange zest, if applicable*], and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly). Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.

Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Loosen cake from pan using tip of a dinner knife, then invert rack over pan and turn cake out onto rack.

Whipped Cream (for serving)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
In a large metal bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.

NOTE: For best results, chill the bowl and cream before preparation.

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! This cake was so moist! Not overly tender where it just breaks a part either. I wasn't sure about the Grand Marnier and orange zest, because I'm not such a fan of the orange flavor, but I found this combo quite enjoyable. I have had Dawn's Whiskey version, but I must say that I do prefer this one. (Sorry Dawn!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.... this is fabulous. I actually combined it with the glaze from another recipe: combine 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup Grand Marnier and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan; boil for 1 minute; cool. While the cake is still in the pan, after it's cooled for about an hour, poke it full of holes with a bamboo skewer and pour the glaze over. Leave the cake in the pan for another hour.... YUMMMMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete